DubDrift
Forum Update: Facebook Connect

You can now associate your Facebook account with Dubdrift by enabling the Facebook associate button found in your Profile preferences.

It's simple, you have to link your Facebook account with your account already created in the forum.

Connect in the forum> Profile> Preferences> Connect my Facebook account

From this point, your forum account and Facebook account are linked.

Jay
Administrator
DubDrift
Forum Update: Facebook Connect

You can now associate your Facebook account with Dubdrift by enabling the Facebook associate button found in your Profile preferences.

It's simple, you have to link your Facebook account with your account already created in the forum.

Connect in the forum> Profile> Preferences> Connect my Facebook account

From this point, your forum account and Facebook account are linked.

Jay
Administrator
DubDrift
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dubdrift : RC Drif Abu Dhabi

Dubai RCDubai RC  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
EP: DubDrift Sessions ● Fridays @ 5:00pm onwards ● Moven Pick Area2 ● Click HERE for location.

Latest topics
» any one here from abudhabi im new in RlC world
Scale Pajero Progress Emptyby rommel Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:50 am

» Mini Mayhem is back!
Scale Pajero Progress Emptyby Jay Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:55 pm

» Dubai adventure (teaser)
Scale Pajero Progress Emptyby cv3t Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:53 am

» Rock Crawlers in Dubai?
Scale Pajero Progress Emptyby pampoy Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:01 am

» Moven Pick Area Map
Scale Pajero Progress Emptyby kax79 Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:34 pm

» Family Fun Fly Day, 29th November
Scale Pajero Progress Emptyby king44 Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:54 am

» mini 4WD latest version
Scale Pajero Progress Emptyby Jay Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:09 pm

» Rc Drift King Meydan's Cup
Scale Pajero Progress Emptyby kax79 Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:06 am

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
J.Drift
Scale Pajero Progress Vote_lcapScale Pajero Progress Voting_barScale Pajero Progress Vote_rcap 
Jay
Scale Pajero Progress Vote_lcapScale Pajero Progress Voting_barScale Pajero Progress Vote_rcap 
LaNcE
jebjeb
cathurga
Bandit
strawb
paul
chardiboi
.j0sh
Webmail
DubDrift Webmail
free forum
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Scale Pajero Progress

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Duane
Chase Driver

Scale Pajero Progress Empty
PostSubject: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi,
My Pajero is nearly done, all thats left to do is some body detailing and fitting a higher turn motor to bring the speed down. Here is a retrospective build thread of the progress to date starting from the ground up -

1) Tyres.

The original Pajero tyres are very hard and so don't offer much grip on rocks. One approach to improving them is to sand off every other lug, this might provide more grip on rocks, but as my truck will be used on sand as much as rock I decided to buy some larger and softer tyres that would spread the load to carry the truck better on sand.

Unfortunatley I didn't realise that there is such a massive variation in the diameter of 1.9 size tyres. The original tyres are about 85mm across while the Flat Irons that I bought are a massive 115mm across. I knew that I was going to open out the wheel arches to fit bigger tyres, but even with that in mind there was no way the Flat Irons would work on this truck.

I left the build here for a month or two until I decided to try and cut down the Flat Irons. I removed two sets of lugs from each tyre and cut out the central lip, I was then able to glue the tyres to some top cad 1.9 rims for a total diameter of 98mm. This is still a fraction too big for the look I wanted but having cut up 50 dollars worth of tyres I will stick with it for now.

Scale Pajero Progress Cutdow10

2) Body Lift.

The front body lift is very simple, I retained the original parts but put two Tamiya nylon bushings between the front mount and the main chassis to give a front lift of about 10mm. At the rear I made two new mounts based on the hole spacing of the original part and then used Tamiya spacers from a CR01 kit and fitted the fabricated part above the main chassis to give me a similar 10mm lift at the rear.

Scale Pajero Progress Rearmo10

3) Chassis Work.

I planned to leave the chassis stock however I have ended up cutting away large portions of the front of the chassis to give a better approach angle and allow for steering and suspension movement with the larger tyres.

4) Body Work.

At the front and the rear of the standard truck, there is very bulky fender and body kit detail. In order to get suspension movement, steering and the 20mm larger tyres fitted I removed this detail with a dremel following the original shutlines and my own hand drawn guides along the sides of the front push bars. At the front I used styrene/plasticard to blank off the now open ends of the push bars. I strengthened this with two part epoxy on the inside and tidied the outside with Tamiya putty.

There is a bit more detail on this in the comments attached to the pictures in the gallery.

Front - push bars blanked off, reinforced and tidied, some of the removed bodywork also shown.

Scale Pajero Progress Frontc10

The rear was a bit more involved. I followed the same basic plan of cutting the bodykit off along the existing shutlines however I didn't like the way the rear end of the truck looked as a result. To fix this I took the removed body kit detail and cut it in two horizontally to seperate the body kit detail from the lower corner detail which I then remounted to the truck. This gives a factory look to the rear of the truck while doing away with all of the excess bodywork and the clearance issues it caused. At the same time I also glued the rear bumper detail to the main body, filled the gaps and blanked of the ends with styrene and tidied with Tamiya putty.

Rear - body work removed, split and refitted. Bumper glued and end blanked off, removed center part also shown.

Scale Pajero Progress Rearcl10

close up

Scale Pajero Progress Rearmo11

5) Paint.

Before any of this work I originally built the truck completley stock about 2 years ago. I really enjoyed using the truck in its stock form, however I used Ace Hardware own brand paint and hatted the colour and finish. My hatred grew and grew until I decided to strip the truck down and rebuild it as a scaler with a military look.

To remove the old paint I left the truck in a bath of 'Easy Off BAM' oven cleaner. After two or three weeks the parts where the paint wasn't complteley removed were at least softened enough to scrape or sand off easily.

I used Tamiya Putty to fill any obvious scratches from the trucks prior life, I also filled the arial hole.

For the new colour I used Krylon Fusion in a Tan colour. Its pretty close to the colour I had in mind although my wife said the truck looks like clay !

6) Skid plate.

To take advantage of the improved approach angle I wanted a metal skid plate. To make this I first tried different designs in cardboard cut from a cereal packet. I then marked out the final design and cut it from brass sheet using a Dremel.

Skid Plate - Card template

Scale Pajero Progress Fronts10

Skid Plate - Brass plate painted and fitted

I might make another version of this with a better mounting mechanism, currently its mounted using 3M Heavy Duty double sided sticking tape. This stuff is incredibly strong, but if dust is able to sneak in around the sides it can loose its sticking power.

The brass sheet has been painted using Krylon Camo paint in Olive Green, the spare tyre cover is also in this colour.

Scale Pajero Progress Brasss10

7) Things left to do -

Detail the lights, light buckets, front grill
Fit the lights
Paint, detail and fit the fuel tank
Fit a slower motor
Get some action pictures

Will see you on the rock sometime

Duane.

Last edited by Duane on Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
paul
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
paul

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 5:36 pm

looking good daune!
Back to top Go down
http://dirtrc.blogspot.com/
paul
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
paul

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 1:16 am

Hey Daune,

Where did you get the tamiya putty from? Can you get at any of the local hobby stores?
Back to top Go down
cathurga
Lead Driver
cathurga

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 1:29 am

Paul, I got some of Tamiya's Light cure putty....it's awesome, you mould it in and then shove it in bright sunlight for an hour, comes out pretty strong and sands nicely...

I got it at T & U
Back to top Go down
paul
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
paul

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 1:31 am

Thanks andy,

Will go have a look tomorrow and see if they have any
Back to top Go down
hinawi
Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 9:38 pm

guys where is or wat is T & U ?
Back to top Go down
Duane
Chase Driver

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi,
I spent the last hour masking around the windows, lights and grill on my pagero then spraying these areas in a semi gloss black. I rushed it but have gotten away with it, the masking is off and the semi gloss detail against the flat tan bodywork is looking rather good.

Looking forward to screwing it all back together, putting the lights in and getting it dirty

running pics tomorrow if all goes according to plan.

Duane
Back to top Go down
Duane
Chase Driver

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi,

Some progress shots on the Pajero

1) Front Grill and logo, steady hand needed for the red logo.

Scale Pajero Progress Grill10

2) Satin Black window surrounds and light detail, most of it masked and sprayed, the lights themselves are brush painted and will need a bit of tidying.

Scale Pajero Progress Progre10

3) The Pajero comes with a sticker representing a tow hook. This is my improvised scratch built tow hook made from a coat hanger, scrap metal from Ace, two part epoxy and CA Glue. I have since painted it flat black and fitted it with double sided tape.

Scale Pajero Progress Towhoo10

Getting there but still need a motor,pinion and reassemb
ly.

Duane.
Back to top Go down
paul
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
paul

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 12:45 am

Nice Daune,

The black satin detail looks wicked! It's all coming together now 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Duane
Chase Driver

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 1:55 am

Hi Paul,
Its a race to the finish between your project and mine.

I am about done, just need the motor, pinion and I need to sort out the wing mirrors. I tried sanding the mold lines off the wing mirrors, but they are made from one of those rubbery plastics that looks almost hairy when you sand it. Not sure what I am going to do about this.

Have you considered a DF03 chassis for your project ? T and U had one for about 500 DHs a while back, it's a better performance platform for your bowler than the CC01.

Duane.

Back to top Go down
paul
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
paul

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 2:10 am

Hey Duane

Yip I did look at the df03 but the track is too wide...also had a look at the df03ra which was good size wise and had better performance than the cc01.....only problem is the the chassis sits too low (even with the bigger wheels) and the body doesn't hide it....So it doesn't look very scale...

For the time being I'll stick to the cc01 until I find a better solution....Also gonna pop a slower motor in mine 17T brushed is a bit too much for the cc-01 twisted evil
Back to top Go down
Duane
Chase Driver

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 12:24 am

Hi,
The CC01 Pajero is finished !

Its had a good run on some of the rock enbankments around the Autodrome and on some of the landscaping around Ranches.

some pics -

Most scalers look like they are out for a family picnic, mine is more about quietly crossing borders - the desert stealth look.

Scale Pajero Progress Border10

Scale Pajero Progress Sunset10

Scale Pajero Progress Top_bm10

Now when is the next scale meet ?

Duane

Back to top Go down
strawb
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
strawb

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 12:37 am

very nice duane!

2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://forcea.multiply.com/
paul
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
paul

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 1:01 am

Very stealthy Duane, that paint job is next on the same colour as the desert sand!
Back to top Go down
strawb
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
strawb

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 1:29 am

now this is built duane ....

why dont you try building a comp rig next????? thumbs_up
Back to top Go down
Duane
Chase Driver

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi,
Im not sure what a comp crawler is, but if a Junfac Joker is one, then I already have one.

I bought Andy's joker off him a while back mainly because I wanted the two speed transmission to put in my CR01 Landcruiser.

I have had a mess about with the Joker, but I am not sure I get crawling, I love scalers, but out and out crawlers I am not too sure about. It might be down to the terrain I have access to, there are some stunning landscaped areas within ranches, its mostly sand but great to take the kids and a kit for a walk around.

If you see my other post in the 'creek crawl' thread, lets try that suggestion and see if I can be converted on the rocks at motor city.

Duane.
Back to top Go down
strawb
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
strawb

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Duane wrote:
Hi,
Im not sure what a comp crawler is

but I am not sure I get crawling, I love scalers, but out and out crawlers I am not too sure about.

Duane.

Hi duane

Comp Crawling is basically having a 4x4 rig which has to go thru a series of set gates on a particular course ..... focus is more so on driving performance and capabilities rather than aesthetics .....

its pretty addicting i might add ....

just a video to easily clear out what i was explaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEwSeloDKT0

cheers

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scale Pajero Progress   Scale Pajero Progress Empty

Back to top Go down

Scale Pajero Progress
Page 1 of 1