DubDrift
Forum Update: Facebook Connect

You can now associate your Facebook account with Dubdrift by enabling the Facebook associate button found in your Profile preferences.

It's simple, you have to link your Facebook account with your account already created in the forum.

Connect in the forum> Profile> Preferences> Connect my Facebook account

From this point, your forum account and Facebook account are linked.

Jay
Administrator
DubDrift
Forum Update: Facebook Connect

You can now associate your Facebook account with Dubdrift by enabling the Facebook associate button found in your Profile preferences.

It's simple, you have to link your Facebook account with your account already created in the forum.

Connect in the forum> Profile> Preferences> Connect my Facebook account

From this point, your forum account and Facebook account are linked.

Jay
Administrator
DubDrift
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dubdrift : RC Drif Abu Dhabi

Dubai RCDubai RC  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
EP: DubDrift Sessions ● Fridays @ 5:00pm onwards ● Moven Pick Area2 ● Click HERE for location.

Latest topics
» any one here from abudhabi im new in RlC world
Lipo and brushed ESC Emptyby rommel Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:50 am

» Mini Mayhem is back!
Lipo and brushed ESC Emptyby Jay Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:55 pm

» Dubai adventure (teaser)
Lipo and brushed ESC Emptyby cv3t Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:53 am

» Rock Crawlers in Dubai?
Lipo and brushed ESC Emptyby pampoy Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:01 am

» Moven Pick Area Map
Lipo and brushed ESC Emptyby kax79 Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:34 pm

» Family Fun Fly Day, 29th November
Lipo and brushed ESC Emptyby king44 Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:54 am

» mini 4WD latest version
Lipo and brushed ESC Emptyby Jay Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:09 pm

» Rc Drift King Meydan's Cup
Lipo and brushed ESC Emptyby kax79 Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:06 am

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
J.Drift
Lipo and brushed ESC Vote_lcapLipo and brushed ESC Voting_barLipo and brushed ESC Vote_rcap 
Jay
Lipo and brushed ESC Vote_lcapLipo and brushed ESC Voting_barLipo and brushed ESC Vote_rcap 
LaNcE
jebjeb
cathurga
Bandit
strawb
paul
chardiboi
.j0sh
Webmail
DubDrift Webmail
free forum
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Lipo and brushed ESC

Go down 
+6
RECKRACING
minikufer
Jay
gerg
jebjeb
mister-e
10 posters
AuthorMessage
mister-e
Test Driver
mister-e

Lipo and brushed ESC Empty
PostSubject: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi LiPo guru's.

I just goy my very first Lipo battery (better late than never) and need some advice on the following:
- Are you able to use LiPo battery (2S) with an old ESC for brushed motor?

The ESC is Novak GT7.
My receiver is Spektrum 2,4 GHz.
Motor is brushed.

For LiPo protection, I'm planning to get the Novak Smart Stop for 2S LiPo battery.

Any advice is appreciated before I damage my electronics and my LiPo on fire thankyou
Back to top Go down
jebjeb
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
jebjeb

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 2:56 pm

i think you can use any esc and motor with lipo provided you have that buzzer for cut off and if you have lipo cut off in your esc, that shouldn't be a problem.

just charge your li-po's properly.

been using lipo for almost a year now and used it hard.. so far no problem encountered and i dont intend to smile
Back to top Go down
mister-e
Test Driver
mister-e

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 3:07 pm

Tx for the reply.

Then I'll fit it in my touring car then.
The challenge I have is the fitting of the saddle pack LiPo into the chassis.
Height is higher, so need to do some tinkering.
Aiming to be ready for the 9-th though.
dance
Back to top Go down
gerg
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
gerg

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 3:17 pm

You will have no problem with older ESC and Motors.

I hope you purchase LiPo charger as well?
You can't use NiCd or NiMH carger with LiPo packs.

I'm sure you will notice the difference in your X-Ray. More punch and top end speed...... I was very surprised with the difference.

I used my batteries a lot without a LiPo cutoff, and just stopped as soon as I thought the battery was running out. A buzzer is deffinately a good idea though and very cheap. I think some of the LHS have the yeah racing (?) one, but can't remember which, maybe someone else knows?

I'm really looking forward to 9th too..... Bring it on..... thumbs_up
Back to top Go down
Jay
Administrator
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 3:20 pm

So you finally got your saddle pack lipos.. its about time to put your 5 year old nicads to rest very happy I just got into lipos at the automodex and yes they perform better than my previous batteries.

I suggest you get a proper lipo charger with balancer or buy a balancer separately. My LRP ecs doesnt support lipo cut-offs aswell so i bought a lipo buzzer just to be sure i dont get my kits burned very happy

Or get yourself one of these NOVAK SMART STOP modules!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dubdrift.com
minikufer
Mechanic
minikufer

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 3:22 pm

Hi Edward,
its bryan... very happy the novak smart-stop is a must considering your esc doesnt have lipo cut-off.
i have one and its so easy to use and program.
it has a led to show that your lipo is nearing cut-off point.
and believe me you would not like the lipo to go below its cut-off voltage.
wacko
Back to top Go down
mister-e
Test Driver
mister-e

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 5:06 pm

Tx for the advices gents!

So, no problem either for the receiver right? Since the power of the receiver is coming from the ESC (BEC)? rolling eyes

I searched for the Novak Smart Stop already, but is out of stock on both RC-Mart and RC-Mushroom.

Bryan, if you have a spare, I would like to buy it from you.
I will be arriving in the evening in Riyadh Monday the 5-th.
Where are we going to? wink Leaving Wednesday evening
Back to top Go down
mister-e
Test Driver
mister-e

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Next set of questions for a LiPo newbie: Charging.

- When do you balance a LiPo battery? During charging? Or before charging?

I have a saddle pack, using 4mm plugs. Thus 2x 1s battery
If I charge it 1 by one, that means that I don't need to balance it, right?

I need to balance the battery when I charge the battery as a single 2s battery.
Back to top Go down
Jay
Administrator
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 5:32 pm

mister-e wrote:
Tx for the advices gents!

So, no problem either for the receiver right? Since the power of the receiver is coming from the ESC (BEC)? rolling eyes
As long as your ESC is BEC ready i dont think theres gonna be a problem with the receiver and servo very happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.dubdrift.com
jebjeb
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
jebjeb

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 5:35 pm

i have 3 li-po's with me for almost a year... never balanced it in its life... still works fine! smile
Back to top Go down
RECKRACING
Administrator
RECKRACING

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 6:16 pm

Hey Mr. E, Lipo stick packs comes with 2 plugs, one with the connector for the esc, and the other one is used for balanced charging. for 2s lipos the balance charging plug has 3 wires with small white connector, for saddle packs thats 1s x 2, so if you charge it separately its the same as balance charging it coz in 2s lipo stick packs it is connected in series thats why it has the balancer plug so you can charge each cell one at a time.
Back to top Go down
mister-e
Test Driver
mister-e

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 6:46 pm

A ha!

Reck, tx for confirming my understanding thumbs_up

My charger doesn't have a built in balancer.
I will charge it 1 by 1 then, just for sure.

So, now I just need a LiPo charging bag.

2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Bandit
Lead Driver

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 7:59 pm

hi edward, are you planning to use the the lipo on touring only? no need to buy any lipo cut off or buzzer, its just a 5mins race and it will not damage your lipo, ofcourse after running on a 5mins race you will again charge the lipo and so on...JMTC very happy

BTW i admire your driving when i saw you...hihihi
Back to top Go down
gerg
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
gerg

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 8:07 pm

I have a buzzer I am not currently using.
You can borrow it for the day, but I'd like to hold onto it.
I can't use it at the moment since it will not fit in my mini, and I don't need it for the touring car. I will get a short extension cable some time so it will fit, but don't have one yet.
Back to top Go down
tractorboy
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
tractorboy

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 8:13 pm

I have the same problem greg, my buzzer just ends up popping out of the body shell and then falling off.

I also have a spare buzzer if its needed for the 9th
Back to top Go down
gerg
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
gerg

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Yes, not sure what to do about this.
I saw Vinesh with a modified battery case the other day. He had opened it, made a hole to the side and brought the wires out the side instead of out the end. He ended up with longer leads too.
If I did this it would solve my problem, but not sure about hacking open my LiPo.... it could end badly. wacko
I think Vinesh had to tape the case shut after this too, so I'm not sure if it would slide into the mini anymore?!?!
Back to top Go down
Samaj
Chase Driver
Samaj

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 9:16 pm

I guess this particular pack that Vin modified gave false alarms with the Lipo cutof LED thinghy as the wires moved.
Vinesh can confirm. In any case would not recommend opening a Lipo case.
Back to top Go down
tractorboy
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
tractorboy

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 9:18 pm

yep doesnt sound like a good idea too me. Dont think those hard cases are meant to be opened
Back to top Go down
RECKRACING
Administrator
RECKRACING

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 9:49 pm

I did the same thing that Vinesh did with my lipos, I have to open it up any way coz a wire from the balancer plug got cut off coz its too short and its probably the way its sticking out at the ends, so when I repaired it decided to place the wires on the side of the casing, easy process and I dont have any problems so far. I also replaced the balancer wires with longer ones so using the buzzer is no longer an issue.
Back to top Go down
cathurga
Lead Driver
cathurga

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 10:13 pm

I have done it with ALL my Lipo's except the new ones, but they WILL eventually break, and I will mod them too....

There is not a lot to be concerned about when opening them up....except to be careful and consider what you are doing. I would recommend the following

Have a decent soldering iron - minimum 80Watt
Ensure you follow maintenance procedures of the iron, always clean the tip while soldering, and after.
Make sure you use the correct solder.

If you are INEXPERIENCED when it comes to soldering, develop your skills on things that cannot explode, it is a very good skill to posess and does not require anything more than some practise and guidance.

If you are under your parents guidance and roof, DONT DO THIS, ask someone else to do it for you.

The extensions for the LIPO balance leads are available at Ultimate-Heli....

Mister-e, check your ESC's BEC rating, it could be the end of your steering servo if there isnt one, and possibly your Rx.
Lipos put out a total of 8.49V when fully charged, any servo rated at 7.2V max power will get COOKED. .....
Back to top Go down
gerg
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
gerg

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 10:32 pm

Edwards novak ESC has following feature

6 Volt/3.0 Amp BEC
Rated current: 640A; Braking Current: 160A

So don't think he will have any problem.

@ Reck - how did you put the hard case back together, push, glue or tape?
Back to top Go down
cathurga
Lead Driver
cathurga

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 12:19 am

Gerg, thanks for the info.....

I put my packs together with super glue.... smile
Back to top Go down
mister-e
Test Driver
mister-e

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 1:26 am

Gents,

Tx a lot for all the offering.
I appreciate it a lot.
I could use some additional weight though, since the Lipo's are lighter than the old trusted 6 cells NiMh. So pleaaase, yes I would like to borrow it the 9-th untill I got my own.

Bandit, tx for admiring.
Actually it's the car which is doing the driving dont_mention
You have to set it up properly.
If the handling is decent, it's a lot easier to drive.
You will be driving the nice lines on the track instead of trying to keep the car on the track!

Start at a controlled speed and increase it when the car handles properly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lipo and brushed ESC   Lipo and brushed ESC Empty

Back to top Go down

Lipo and brushed ESC
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DubDrift :: EP General Forums :: EP Touring :: Technical Discussion-
Jump to: