DubDrift
Forum Update: Facebook Connect

You can now associate your Facebook account with Dubdrift by enabling the Facebook associate button found in your Profile preferences.

It's simple, you have to link your Facebook account with your account already created in the forum.

Connect in the forum> Profile> Preferences> Connect my Facebook account

From this point, your forum account and Facebook account are linked.

Jay
Administrator
DubDrift
Forum Update: Facebook Connect

You can now associate your Facebook account with Dubdrift by enabling the Facebook associate button found in your Profile preferences.

It's simple, you have to link your Facebook account with your account already created in the forum.

Connect in the forum> Profile> Preferences> Connect my Facebook account

From this point, your forum account and Facebook account are linked.

Jay
Administrator
DubDrift
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dubdrift : RC Drif Abu Dhabi

Dubai RCDubai RC  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
EP: DubDrift Sessions ● Fridays @ 5:00pm onwards ● Moven Pick Area2 ● Click HERE for location.

Latest topics
» any one here from abudhabi im new in RlC world
Any interest in a non 10.5 class? Emptyby rommel Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:50 am

» Mini Mayhem is back!
Any interest in a non 10.5 class? Emptyby Jay Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:55 pm

» Dubai adventure (teaser)
Any interest in a non 10.5 class? Emptyby cv3t Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:53 am

» Rock Crawlers in Dubai?
Any interest in a non 10.5 class? Emptyby pampoy Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:01 am

» Moven Pick Area Map
Any interest in a non 10.5 class? Emptyby kax79 Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:34 pm

» Family Fun Fly Day, 29th November
Any interest in a non 10.5 class? Emptyby king44 Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:54 am

» mini 4WD latest version
Any interest in a non 10.5 class? Emptyby Jay Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:09 pm

» Rc Drift King Meydan's Cup
Any interest in a non 10.5 class? Emptyby kax79 Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:06 am

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
J.Drift
Any interest in a non 10.5 class? Vote_lcapAny interest in a non 10.5 class? Voting_barAny interest in a non 10.5 class? Vote_rcap 
Jay
Any interest in a non 10.5 class? Vote_lcapAny interest in a non 10.5 class? Voting_barAny interest in a non 10.5 class? Vote_rcap 
LaNcE
jebjeb
cathurga
Bandit
strawb
paul
chardiboi
.j0sh
Webmail
DubDrift Webmail
free forum
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Any interest in a non 10.5 class?

Go down 
+8
gerg
Samaj
chardiboi
Noscire4
jamea
LaNcE
cathurga
Abdul Basit
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Abdul Basit
Chase Driver
Abdul Basit

Any interest in a non 10.5 class? Empty
PostSubject: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptyWed May 02, 2012 3:39 pm

I know the only confirmed class right now is 10.5. But the guys over at ProRC are open to other ideas as long as there is enough interest for them.

I doubt many people here have a 10.5 system lying around. And if you think of the costs, a mod class one costs $150 atleast.

And if you don't already have a medium-high end tourer, you're going to need one. I doubt a cheaper kit will handle all that power well. Chassis flex and tweak will have you running at the back of the pack.
That means another $400.

Throw in a good servo, maybe another reciever, some tires, and some spares, and you're looking at well over $650.

When I asked last time, nobody replied. I'm just trying to help. I hope everybody can reply with what class (or any rules) will keep things exciting, fair and won't break the bank.
Back to top Go down
cathurga
Lead Driver
cathurga

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptyWed May 02, 2012 3:50 pm

I have not been to the track yet, but it looks like a track that needs a speedy motor, it's quite long and open.
If there is a Hobbywing 13T (3000kv) class I would definitely try join. They are cheap motor ESC combos and you can gear them pretty high as long as you keep the motor and ESC cool.
Back to top Go down
LaNcE
Lead Driver
LaNcE

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptyWed May 02, 2012 4:32 pm

We probably can make the HW 13T as a standard in Minis..
And a solid set of rules like:
- chassis hop-ups & CF conversions
- gearing
et al..

For example,
1. Open hop-ups from any companies as long as it replaces the part it is designed for.
2. CF Chassis conversions are not allowed.
3. Controlled gearing - Stock gear ratio, with 20T pinion.
4. Open tires.
and so on.

Having controlled cars, we end up racing with our setups and our driving.

With regards to a non 10.5T class, there are 13.5, 17.5 & 21.5 as standards in clubs..

Imo, it's better we race with the standards. Atleast we can race them when we go somewhere else.

I'm leaning towards a 17.5 class.. smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.dubdrift.com
Abdul Basit
Chase Driver
Abdul Basit

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptyWed May 02, 2012 5:15 pm

Great ideas.

A few others rules I was thinking of:

1) Stock timing and software.
2) No race blob shells. GT and street shells only.
3) A weight limit of some sort. Full CF cars could run in 10.5. But if a lot of people have them already, then we could work something out.

I also vote for 17.5. smile
Back to top Go down
jamea
Mechanic
jamea

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptyThu May 03, 2012 2:24 am

did anyboddy run mini on this track yet, ?
what is the closest motor to the black tamiya motor in the brushles world
I realy like my yea racing 13 brushless set in my TBo3 runnung on that track, it was a good fun ,

also ran CF chassis with a 10.5 set whcih was really SLOW comparing the rest of drivers, so I think it is all about setup and skills which make them realy fast comparing to me,

will try to stop by this weekend if the time allows me, maybe Sat for a run
Back to top Go down
Abdul Basit
Chase Driver
Abdul Basit

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptyThu May 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Okay, this won't work if there are just 3 people wanting to race.

78 views, and just 3 replies? Come on guys. We finally got a track, and now nobody cares?
Back to top Go down
cathurga
Lead Driver
cathurga

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptyThu May 03, 2012 7:31 pm

It's part and parcel of the hobby unfortunately, everyone has their own tastes and preferences, so you can never make everyone happy.
IMO the best way to do it is to have an open class where he with the biggest wallet can flex his muscles (skill can still win here, and often does) and then have a regulated class that involves mainly skill. With all the technology available, even the regulated classes have some 'bending' of the rules. If the regulation can limit the bending, then all the better. We used to race the GT class with the HW 13T motors that are unsensored and it was good fun. No limits on gearing allows people to decide on whether they want speed out of corners, or straight line speed and whether they can make the heat without overheating. No software tooling of the timing either...the other thing is that the HW 13T motors are pretty cheap, and can be used in minis to good effect!

I hope to get down to the track so I can try some combos, and I would like to see how the FWD cars do, they are great fun to drive. And if there is a decent regulated class, will make an effort to come and race!
Back to top Go down
Noscire4
Driver
Noscire4

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptyThu May 03, 2012 7:48 pm

Hey Guys,

Been reading this trhread but been hesitating to response since my knowledge about touring is not that brod.

My suggestion is to first organize a gathering of all Touring Enthusiast and PRO RC Track be the meeting place of course...maybe have everyone make a run first on the track and from there you will see what type of class would suit and benefit the majority of the players.

My concern is we can say and put our input here in the forum but at the end of the day skills will still be a huge factor on this game in making the class since most of us haven't see each other run their kit on the track , please don't get me wrong all opinion on this forum is right and well appreciatted just that i am more on hands on.

I would love to attend the gahtering once this would push thru.....

Keep it up guys 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://extremehobbiestrading.greensmedia.com/index.htm
Abdul Basit
Chase Driver
Abdul Basit

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptyThu May 03, 2012 8:09 pm

Noscire4 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Been reading this trhread but been hesitating to response since my knowledge about touring is not that brod.

Don't worry about it. Forums are for discussing topics. We're doing just that, so it's okay. smile

The point of the thread is to see how many people are interested in a non 10.5 class. Like Cathurga said, a lot of people have 13t HW setups already. So I expected some of those people to be interested.

If they can pay the (huge) amount of money to get started in a 10.5 class, then fair enough.

The guys at the track drive pretty well with a 10.5. So we know that the track is capable of hosting such a class. And most people have atleast some experience, and could be posting good lap times with some practice.

17.5t/13t classes will reduce costs a LOT. And I find bumper to bumper action far more fun than getting lapped by the guy with $1000 invested in his kit.

Thank you for the input.
Back to top Go down
cathurga
Lead Driver
cathurga

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptyThu May 03, 2012 9:04 pm

I had a thread on the HW 13T combos a while back, quite a few people bought them, if there ever is a decision made to use them, I could check if I could order more....
I recall the motors being around US$40 and the combos were around US$80 ..all inclusive of shipping, which has a always been a pretty good price. They are good kit...i have never had one fail on me, but I have replaced the bearings in one motor, that was from using it in a Slash at and al Sheba, and that dirt has a high metallic content which destroys bearings.
Back to top Go down
Abdul Basit
Chase Driver
Abdul Basit

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptyThu May 03, 2012 9:51 pm

cathurga wrote:
I had a thread on the HW 13T combos a while back, quite a few people bought them, if there ever is a decision made to use them, I could check if I could order more....

I remember it. If there's another group buy, then I'll get a combo as well. They seem to be out of stock in all the larger stores. Ebay tends to carry fakes.

What are you interested in running? Mini and GT?

I want to order one of them tonight. Still making up my mind.
Back to top Go down
LaNcE
Lead Driver
LaNcE

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptyFri May 04, 2012 5:30 pm

I'd go with a group buy again on the 13T/35A combo.

Many of us already have the HW combo. We just have to decide where to kick them in.
I'd really want for it to be the standard for minis as I'm sure it gonna be a hell lot of fun especially in a dedicated track.
But as the usual, it's never fun to race by yourself so majority wins and the rest should follow.

Back to top Go down
Abdul Basit
Chase Driver
Abdul Basit

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptyFri May 04, 2012 6:39 pm

LaNcE wrote:
Many of us already have the HW combo. We just have to decide where to kick them in.

Let's get a poll going then? I don't think I can edit the topic to add one. Pointless if it's just us 4 voting though. Dissapointing that nobody else is posting. Is nobody interested in touring at all?

I bet lots of people have the 3racing combo they got with their F109 kits way back. I forgot how many turns those motors were though.
Back to top Go down
chardiboi
Chase Driver
chardiboi

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptyFri May 04, 2012 10:29 pm

if you guys are going for group buy again, i'll take one combo. i'm trying to setup a tourer myself also, but still have a bit of a long way to go. cyclone tc base. i don't think my kit would fit the gt class though, i want to setup a 10.5 and the hobbywing for the mini.

i hope guys who are interested in this topic will show up if we all ever do meet up.
Back to top Go down
jamea
Mechanic
jamea

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptySat May 05, 2012 3:39 am

I think an F1 class can also be taken into consideration,

some regulars at the track have them already ,
Back to top Go down
Abdul Basit
Chase Driver
Abdul Basit

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptySat May 05, 2012 5:35 am

jamea wrote:

I'm in.

I'm in for anything as long as it's not an open/mod class.

Back to top Go down
Samaj
Chase Driver
Samaj

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptySat May 05, 2012 1:45 pm

Iam in as long as i can run my Black can Mini or 13T Hobby wing TB EVO 5.
Back to top Go down
gerg
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
gerg

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptySat May 05, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm going to try my hand in the 10.5 class, but it is definately not for everyone, and another spec class is needed.
The HW 13T is the cheapest option, but the 17.5 class would be more in line with what's run internationally.

I was not really aware until I looked into the 10.5 class, but spead controls have advanced a lot and if we run 17.5, then you will also need to restrict the speed control. They refer to it as blinky class.

Basically speed control now are able to do dynamic timing...... so they adjust the timing based on the speed of the motor to get more top end, without drawing all the extra amps in the tight parts. At least that is my understanding.

If you run 17.5, a top of the range speed control will kill a cheap 17.5 combo on the track. That is probably why your 10.5 combo is slow jamea! It is the speed control holding you back.
I've just bought the HW 120A v2.1 which is competitive in mod class and has dynamic timing...... also called boost and turbo settings. Waiting for it to arrive along with some other bit's and bobs.
Back to top Go down
gerg
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
gerg

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptySat May 05, 2012 3:44 pm

jamea wrote:

I leant my F1 to Edward, so maybe it was this one you saw around the track.

I think they are leaning towards buying 1/12 scale pan chassis though. There is nothing to upgrade, and they are much stronger than the F1. I'm in the process of getting mine sorted, and have some tires and a few tuning parts in transit.

When I get back to the track in the next couple of weeks, I should be sorted.

I think the 1/12 scale car is going to be a blast....... it is so quick around the corners, but I had just too much steering and could not get it to settle down. So I've ordered some harder front tires and some spring options and can't wait to get back out.
Back to top Go down
Abdul Basit
Chase Driver
Abdul Basit

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptySat May 05, 2012 5:47 pm

gerg wrote:

I was not really aware until I looked into the 10.5 class, but spead controls have advanced a lot and if we run 17.5, then you will also need to restrict the speed control. They refer to it as blinky class.

Basically speed control now are able to do dynamic timing...... so they adjust the timing based on the speed of the motor to get more top end, without drawing all the extra amps in the tight parts. At least that is my understanding.

Yup. It behaves a little bit like a turbocharged/supercharged 1:1 then.

If a new class is made, stock software and timing is a MUST. At every organized race, we'll need a scrutineer that will check all ESCs for timing changes, etc.
Back to top Go down
cathurga
Lead Driver
cathurga

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:15 pm

I was hoping to get down to the track today, but ended up doing some work, dammit! I wanted to see if the track is suitable for a TC with 13T. It looks like it would be fun without all the hassle and scrutineering....
Greg, have you tried the 1/12 pan car on that track?

I will bear in mind that some folks want the HW combos, let me know when you might need them, and I will order some.
Back to top Go down
Abdul Basit
Chase Driver
Abdul Basit

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:48 am

cathurga wrote:
I will bear in mind that some folks want the HW combos, let me know when you might need them, and I will order some.

I can't get out of the house till the 13th of June. Got my exams until then. After that, I'll be at the track everyday.

If the 25/35A EZruns become standard, then we won't need scrutineering. Any timing changes will do more harm than good.

I like how F1, Mini and GT all run the same electrics. Should make temporary repairs much easier.
Back to top Go down
gerg
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
gerg

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptySun May 06, 2012 2:06 am

cathurga wrote:

Greg, have you tried the 1/12 pan car on that track?

Yep. But the last couple of sessions I had some problems with servo centreing which made it not much fun, plus just too much grip at the front end. I've sorted out the servo problem now.

But I like what I've seen....... just needs a little work. I think once I have the right tire choice there will be little else to do.

The track is ideal, and grip is excellent. The car turns on a dime, and hardly any hint of loose rear end like you might epect from a 2WD car. It is so fast through the bends......... it put smile on my face when you get it right.

At the moment I am running 4 cell and brushed setup. Maybe if we get some more punter, I will upgrade to lipo and brushless system, but not much point at the moment while I am the only one with this chassis.
Back to top Go down
LaNcE
Lead Driver
LaNcE

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptySun May 06, 2012 2:38 pm

If we are gonna run the HW 13T, it is gonna be a non-CF class?

i.e. Tubby Class with GT bodies?

Mnis on HW as well or the black can as standard?

Or we can have a mixed black can/HW 13T for a while and eventually move everybody to the HW 13T.

I really hope we can sort this out soon. The track is waiting.
Back to top Go down
gerg
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
gerg

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? EmptySun May 06, 2012 3:02 pm

LaNcE wrote:
If we are gonna run the HW 13T, it is gonna be a non-CF class?

i.e. Tubby Class with GT bodies?

I assume part of the reason for using 13T is to keep it affordable and attract the most drivers.
So why restrict other area such as chassis or bodies. Keep it open so all people can join.

I'm not planning to run this class, but if I was I would have to buy new chassis and shell since I'm not running a tub and GT body.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a non 10.5 class?   Any interest in a non 10.5 class? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any interest in a non 10.5 class?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next