Forum Update: Facebook Connect

You can now associate your Facebook account with Dubdrift by enabling the Facebook associate button found in your Profile preferences.

It's simple, you have to link your Facebook account with your account already created in the forum.

Connect in the forum> Profile> Preferences> Connect my Facebook account

From this point, your forum account and Facebook account are linked.

Jay
Administrator

Dubai RCDubai RC  HomeHome  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
EP: DubDrift Sessions ● Fridays @ 5:00pm onwards ● Moven Pick Area2 ● Click HERE for location.

Latest topics
» any one here from abudhabi im new in RlC world
by rommel Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:50 am

» Mini Mayhem is back!
by Jay Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:55 pm

» Dubai adventure (teaser)
by cv3t Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:53 am

» Rock Crawlers in Dubai?
by pampoy Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:01 am

» Moven Pick Area Map
by kax79 Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:34 pm

» Family Fun Fly Day, 29th November
by king44 Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:54 am

» mini 4WD latest version
by Jay Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:09 pm

» Rc Drift King Meydan's Cup
by kax79 Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:06 am

August 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
J.Drift

Jay

LaNcE

jebjeb

cathurga

Bandit

strawb

paul

chardiboi

.j0sh

Webmail
DubDrift Webmail
free forum
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

My New Hop UP - Quiz

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Duane
Chase Driver

PostSubject: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:08 am

Can you guess what my latest hop up is ? suggestions welcome and more clues in a day or two

Duane.
Back to top Go down
Duane
Chase Driver

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:12 pm

No guesses ?

I guarantee this is maddest project yet on Dubdrift

Lets get some guesses in.

Duane.
Back to top Go down
LaNcE
Lead Driver

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:30 pm

Are those LEDs?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dubdrift.com
Duane
Chase Driver

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi,

Technically yes they are LEDS, but you won't be able to see any light from them.

Duane.

Back to top Go down
Duane
Chase Driver

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:46 pm

I should correct that, one is an led the other isn't and they are both in the invisible infrared spectrum.

another clue, my project chassis will use four pairs

Duane.
Back to top Go down
LaNcE
Lead Driver

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:21 pm

Are you planning to control your car with an IR remote system?
Back to top Go down
jebjeb
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:56 pm

is that the one you told me about Duane? hope to see it running soon smile
Back to top Go down
Duane
Chase Driver

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi Lance,
No, its not an infrared remote control system, its quite a bit crazier than that.

Hi Ian,
Yes it is one part of the projects I mentioned to you, I built the first part yesterday even getting as far as road testing it in an M03.

I have tried to upload another clue, but the forum is not accepting my image for some reason.

Duane.
Back to top Go down
LaNcE
Lead Driver

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:47 pm

Hmmnn.. What could it be?

I hope you're not trying to make an M-o3 fly.. Are you?

Hahaha!

Keep us updated..

(?) any prize for who's gonna get the correct answer? giggle
Back to top Go down
Duane
Chase Driver

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi Lance,

With the amount of electronics on it the car is more likley to time travel than fly.

Right now there are around 20 additional wires on the car and heres another clue -

Thats it for now, I will see what Santa brings before I commit to a prize ;-)

Duane.
Back to top Go down
arispal
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:57 pm

I guess you are going to install a speedometer and the function of the IR leds is to measure the speed of each wheels (revolution per minute). Is it a IR transmitter and receiver?
Back to top Go down
Duane
Chase Driver

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:30 pm

So close Arispal, it is an IR Emitter and receiver pair and I am using them to measure the RPM of the wheel, but I am going a lot further and measuring the speed of each wheel with the intention of building traction control.

Here is a picture of my work space

And here is my current road test set up, the LEDS light up progressivley based on the speed difference between the two front wheels - < 20% no lights, 20 % or more 1 light, 40, 60 and 80 each light another light until 100%.

I have tested it extensivley on the bench and running the car outside in the street as normal.

The current set up is very heavy but can easily be built smaller and lighter than a packet of cigarettes. The micro controller I am using is an Arduino, its programmed directly from the PC through a USB Cable and then runs standalone using the lipo in the car for power.

My next stage is to synthesis the throttle signal from the receiver, I will knock up a quick test project that will allow me to remotely program the Arduino to limit the throttle range 'in car'. My vision is - my son wants to have a go of my car so I press the brake three times and the car will read this as ok so you want me to map a 100% input range from the receiver into a 30% range for the ESC. Then when I get the transmitter back I send some other combination of signals to restore full throttle - all without having to be anywhere near the car. This is a useful feature I would like to have, but its also the basis for managing the throttle signal based on a combination of user input and the wheelspin detected in my current set up.

I have several thousand other ideas and will blog a few of them and how I built and programmed them over the rest of the holiday.

Hope some of you find this interesting, I have picked up an accelerometer and gyroscope as well as the IR sensors so will be able to build data logging, RWD Traction control, anti yaw, drift control and just about anything else. I can also add sound and light effects to a car based on whats happening to the car and the current control input, for example a drift sound effect, brake effects etc etc etc.

This is the micro controller, its big and heavy but super quick for prototyping, it can also be built much smaller and cheaper once you have finalised your design.

Duane.

Back to top Go down
arispal
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:15 am

Hi Duane!

Nice work!!! I am using the DFRobotshop Rover which Arduino compatible with built-in ATMega328p. In fact, it is a very good programmable microcontroller board that can connected to USB port for loading the program. I am not very good in programming but I can understand the flow because I have a little background of C programming.
Back to top Go down
LaNcE
Lead Driver

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Great job!

I'd love to see how this goes.
Back to top Go down
Duane
Chase Driver

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi,

As Arispal says, the Arduino is really easy to program from a PC, its also really easy to interface to hardware. I had the first stage of the traction control system built in about six hours.

To get the sensors working I sprayed the insides of the wheels black and then stuck a strip of 'bare metal foil' inside, this works really well. At top speed with no load, the minis wheels run at 68 RPM per second and the Arduino has no trouble sensing this for both front wheels. The 'bare metal foil' is a super thin aluminium foil that is normally used for adding chrome details to 1/32 and 1/43 cars. I used it at its thin enough and light enough not to upset the balance of the wheels at high RPM, it also leaves enough room between the wheel and the hub to get my sensors in.

Sensor mounted on steering hub with prepared wheel.

As I have the traction alarm working, the next stage is to read the receiver signal into the microcontroller then output a synthesised version which I can adjust to control throttle output and maintain traction onboard the car.

I have the basics working but its a bit rough, I am using a servo rather than the speed controller for now as the signal is the same but the servo is more convenient for initial testing. I can control the servo through the full range with the microcontroller intercepting the receiver signal and recreating it, but my current implementation is a bit jittery.

Getting the receiver signal into the mirco controller

I will optimise the code but ultimatley I will want to move the job of creating the servo/speed controller signals to a dedicated external chip so that the microcontroller can focus on monitoring the car and taking high level decisions, the low level signalling will then be offloaded/delegated to one or more simpler chips.

I have lots of other projects in mind, including making the m07 drivable by altering the power delivery to the front and rear wheels depending on what the car is doing - a 1/10 scale active electronic diff.

Duane.
Back to top Go down
paul
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:47 am

Very interesting project duane, keep the updates coming. Looks like you got some free time on your hands.

How about a mind controlled Rc car next? very happy
Back to top Go down
http://dirtrc.blogspot.com/
Duane
Chase Driver

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi,
I was messing around with an accelerometer yesterday it doesn't feel too far from mind control.

If you have ever wondered whats better, M-Grip, S-Grip, Sweeps, Spice or Cross and should you be using 32s or 36s, I might have the answer in a day or two.

I am using the accelerometer to measure the cars traction circle.

you can see the first part of this project here -

http://rcarduino.blogspot.com/

If you scroll down you will find more information about this and the traction control project.

Duane.

Back to top Go down
Duane
Chase Driver

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:57 am

Built a small board to control the data logging setup today. I am a Micro SD Card away from having 3-Axis of acceleration data logged in an M03. I hope to have some plots for different tyres by the end of day tomorrow.

The control board is basically a big red button that allows you to start recording, stop recording and also to tell the board to enter serial mode where it will send all of the recorded data to a PC through USB. There are two LEDs also, red for record and green for serial transmission mode.

Pics here -

http://rcarduino.blogspot.com/

Duane.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My New Hop UP - Quiz   

Back to top Go down

My New Hop UP - Quiz
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: EP General Forums :: EP Touring :: General Discussion-